Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Spoilers

Dear Readers,

Okay Doctor Who fanatics, match the quote with the quoted:

"Spoilers."

If your answer is the ever wonderful River Song, then you are correct. If not, you're incorrect. If you don't know what I'm talking about, pass go and collect an imaginary 200 dollars (translation: skim to the part of the blog where I'm not geeking out. I'll be there in a second).

I bring up River not to talk about Doctor Who (though I probably should one day) but because every time River says spoilers, I suddenly get this intense urge to strangle her. I am pretty sure my face mirrors The Doctor's every time. I desperately want to know what she is stopping me from knowing,  but I know its for my own good that I don't know.

Still with me? If you need to read over that a few times, I can wait.

All good? Okay.

Yesterday John Green did a live show where he read the first chapter of his new book, The Fault In Our Stars, as a teaser for his eager fans.

And a voice in my head that sounded strangely like River Song whispered "Spoilers."

When John reached the end of his chapter, I swear, I had my "Shut up River!" face on, complete with "Why would you do that to me!" groan. Especially when he said it could be as late as NEXT MAY before I would get my pre-order. >_<

Now here is where the monopoly players can come back.

The point of the little geekfest above was to explain why I simotanously love and hate pre-reads or any kind of good teaser.

I love them because of the obvious: I get to finally hear at least a little about something I was waiting for. I love watching/hearing/reading these things because I can make a sort of judgement on whether I'm going to like it or not.

At the same time I was really sad/annoyed when John finished reading the first chapter of his book. Because it was good. Really good. Great in fact.

And I hate it when something great is not available immediately.

It's so easy for me, especially with books, to become invested in characters. I want to know what's happening to them, right then. I don't have a lot of bookmakrs because I don't like to stop reading things once I've started. I literally have to check out six books from the library every time I go so that I don't have to return the next day, and even that doesn't work most of the time.

So when a teaser gets me invested in characters or invested in a plot line and then says "Sorry, you'll have to wait to find out what happens." all I hear is the maniacal laughter of someone who knows more than me and isn't sharing.

All I hear is River Song.

And lord knows I'm not patient enough to be The Doctor. -_-

Sincerely,
Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment