Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dn't 4get 2 Vote :)

Dear Readers,

I think its really interesting how campaigns nowadays are starting to take up the social media approach to getting votes. That's not to say that I'm surprised.  Word of mouth, newspapers, radios, television, these were the "new" social media of the world at some point and people quickly started using them to spread their agenda. Youtube and Facebook are the social media of the now and it makes sense that they would be what politicians (and others) are using to gather followers. I'm not saying radio, television, etc. are outdated. It will be a long time before that happens, if it ever happens. But I think that Youtube and Facebook and Twitter are great ways to keep your constituents up to date with what you are doing, what they need to be doing, and what you hope EVERYONE will be doing in the near future. Plus, its an amazing way to connect with a younger group of possible voters. A lot of young adults are a people of instant gratification: It's our information, and we want it now! We don't want to have to search for you every time we want to know what you are doing. We want your info instantly pumping into our phones/ipads/ipod touches. We're lazy. I admit it. Some may say that it is a sad state of affairs when you have to resort to making sure your political agenda can sync up with a cell phone to garner attention but I say its reality. If you ask a lot of people (not me *cough cough*) if they wanted to recieve information about a political canidate, they are going to ask you "Is there an App for that?". I'm glad to see that candidates realize there is indeed an App for that, and its name is Twitter and Facebook. Make it possible to become a fan or follow you, and suddenly you've opened a door to a bunch of potential voters.

Now obviously I'm a proponent of the social media craze in regard to politics, so I was really excited when I got involved with a women running for District Representative in my state who needed someone to be in charge of her campaign's facebook page. Awesome! I get to be the person who makes sure that everyone knows whats going on, getting the couch potatoes out there involved in the political process! I'm going to be doing other stuff as well, walking around streets and passing out info, but I have to say this is the thing I'm excited about, using cool technology to better the world in some way by getting this really intelligent, qualified, awesome lady elected to office. Its going to be a really amazing process, I can already tell.


Sincerely,

Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment